I’ve had a few movies that BoxeeBox has been unable to identify lately. It is really annoying especially if you ever move source files around on your LAN. I have so much content I can;t cram it all onto a single source without paying a fortune. A while ago I started using my own cover art because BoxeeBox would lose them from time to time. Now, when BoxeeBox has a tough time identifying a movie I use NFO Creator for Boxee Box. This has proven to be pretty flawless. This site is highly recommended. Handwriting your own NFOs is just plain silly and a waste of time. Having your own NFOs allows you to also add the information of your choosing instead of relying on BoxeeBox. For the truly anal retentive you can tweak your descriptions to your heart’s content.
With the future of BoxeeBox very uncertain this may become a necessary tool in the future. My hope is when the first generation BoxeeBox is abandoned by D-Link, they make it usable for LAN content and ditch the Internet streaming features which are the cause of a lot of trouble. This seems almost improbable given D-Link’s history. One can only hope.
Adobe CS6 still has a few annoyances in it. There are quite a few less now that Adobe Contribute has been removed from CS 6 Master Suite. CS 5.5 annoyances were plentiful. The remaining annoyances are Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Bridge. These are the commands. The commands are all one line. It;s best to run it as Administrator or an admin user. There is no 64-bit Office Plugin, AFAIK.
regsvr32.exe /u “C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\PDFMaker\Office\PDFMOfficeAddin.dll”
regsvr32.exe /u “C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat Elements\ContextMenu.dll”
regsvr32.exe /u “C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat Elements\ContextMenu64.dll”
Don’t forget about ShellExView, a very handy utility to manage you context menus and what not. My template is annoyingly un-wide. Sorry.
The last.fm audioscrobbler client is good, except when it’s not. I changed my password over a month ago and I forgot the change it in the client. Does changing a password improve security? (Hint: No.) It also hasn’t bothered to tell me that it has been failing to auth to last.fm for two months. Nor has it bothered to tell me that it has cached 13,000 tracks. Neither has this awesome software bothered to tell me it has been more than a month since the last successful connection to the mothership. The only reason I noticed was because it was using lost of memory. It was using 300 MB of RAM. That’s a lot for a usually tidy client.
Once the outdated password situation was rectified it dutifully decided to submit 13,000+ cached scrobbles. Mind you it only does that 50 scrobbles at a time. I decided to take a screenshot because it was moving so slow. It is going to take about 35 minutes to submit all the scrobbles.
It would be awesome if the last.fm devs would add such a cool feature such as “can’t connect.” I guess that’s hard or something.
I’m not sure if it is coincidence or not but last.fm melted down right after I started my 13,000 scrobble submission.
Pretty funny either way. Needless to say my 45 minute estimate turned into an eight hour ordeal. Good thing I went to bed and gave up watching it.